Friday, July 31, 2009

A Taste Of Empty-nesterhood and Dog Ownership

The House is unbelievably quiet and uncommonly tidy. That's because the three noisemakers/mess makers that also reside here, are in Florida with Grandpa and Aunt Renae. It's bittersweet because on one hand; I am thoroughly enjoying the peace and quiet along with the satisfaction of cleaning something, and actually having it stay clean. Not to mention the freedom of being able to come and go as I please, and go to work with out having to pay my sitter a good chunk my earnings. But on the other hand, I am either missing them, or feeling a touch of guilt because I don't.

If you have children and find yourself in the same predicament, I recommend dog sitting, as it will quickly remedy the the too quiet, no mess situation. We have been with out the children since this past Monday, but as of yesterday we have had Max, a beautiful Australian Shepherd who I believe would be the perfect dog to sit for, if my crazy cat had not stalked him all day yesterday.

Last night we decided to confine the cats to the two boy's rooms that connect via a bathroom. We did this so that Max could sleep in our bedroom, as he did not like the idea at all of having to be in his kennel. Just a short while ago, when Max and I came in from being outside (we had been several times already this morning), I came up stairs to put some laundry away and also check on the cats. Max was right by side. He obediently sat and stayed while I walked down the hallway to enter the door where the cats were. I made a quick pass through and checked the food and water, patted the good one on the head, and told the stalker that it served him right.

I could not have been gone more than a minute and a half when I came out of the other door. I was not surprised to see max when I opened the door, as I'm sure he thought the stay command I gave was only good as long as I remained within sight. What I was surprised to see was what Max had left in several little pieces on the floor right outside of the doorway, as if to further send a screw you message to me and the cats.

I think I did the right thing by just telling him no and immediately took him out side....again. Of course he did not have anything to do because he already unloaded inside, but I thought I should be on the safe side anyway. When we came in, I put him in his kennel where he has been scream/barking ever since.

The papers that his owners gave me had some information on how to use the kennel properly. It said not to let the dog out of the kennel while it is barking, because it teaches them that if they want out, then barking is what what will set then free.

What I want to know is how long will this take? What if he doesn't stop barking? Where is Ceasar Milan when you need him??

As for owning a dog when there are cats in the house and becoming an empty-nester, these are two things in life I can definitely wait for. That being said, I don't regret taking on Max, although, I think he would be a little happier if the kids were here and the cats were not. Still, I'm glad for the experience and the company.

When there's room in the heart there's room in house, even for a noise making, carpet pooping dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment