Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chicken Roulade

Today I worked from home and made Chicken Roulade. Don't let the fancy French name intimidate you if you would like to try my recipe. I'm not even sure if I spelled it correctly and I am too lazy to go look it up. It's basically stuffed chicken breasts that are rolled, then cooked and sliced up for serving. They are pretty and tasty, and these in particular are low in fat.

I don't know many French techniques that come without some degree of fussiness, but if you enjoy cooking I promise this really isn't too bad. It is definitely worth the work.

I also have some photos that I will include with this post.

Ingredients:
Thin cut chicken breast cutlets (I used a 1.5 pound package that had about 6 cutlets)
6 oz bag of baby spinach
1 small container of mushrooms
smoked sun dried tomatoes (1 small package)
1 8 oz shredded Italian 3 cheese mix (I like the Organic Valley brand)
Italian seasoning blend
salt and pepper
olive oil
1/4 cup flour
Butchers string for tying the roulades

First make the stuffing by chopping up the spinach, mushrooms, and sun dried tomatoes
Add the bag of cheese and some seasoning and salt & pepper
Set that aside. * Note* Although the name is French, the heart of this dish which is the stuffing, is red, white, and green. All the colors of the Italian flag!

Now prep the chicken. I like to use disposable cutting sheets on top of my cutting board. Lay the cutlets out on your board and cover with plastic wrap. Pound out the chicken nice and thin with out tearing it up. When you are finished, mound generous amounts of the stuffing on top of the chicken. Taking care to not loose all your stuffing, firmly roll each piece of chicken up and place seam side down on your board.

Using the string, now tie each roll just like tying a crossed knot a package (end to end and across see photo). Start with the seam side up and return to seam side down
for the final tie. Sprinkle the chicken on all sides with salt & pepper

Place the flour in a bowl and roll the chicken in it to coat well all around.
Heat up a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan, just to cover the bottom.
Brown the chicken on all side and transfer to a sided baking sheet or roasting pan.
Finish cooking the chicken in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes or until done.

Allow the chicken to rest before cutting the string and then slicing into little rolls.

I served this on some Jasmine rice with a nice white wine & herb sauce. I like to serve this over couscous too.

No comments:

Post a Comment