Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Making Sushi at Home

My boss at the Italian restaurant I work at wants to get together so we can make sushi. We both love sushi and sometimes on a Saturday, in between lunch and dinner, I'll run out and get some to go from another local restaurant, obviously a Japanese place. We sit at a booth in the back while an occasional customer will walk by and heckle us; the chefs on a break eating take out sushi.

I have attempted making sushi at home before and it is not as easy as one might think it would be for a chef. Even though we'll both be going in to the whole sushi endeavor as complete amateurs experimenting, I'm still not going to look like the hack that I was back when I had the boss over for Christmas dinner and carved up a rib roast that was raw in the middle, and had to be grilled in pieces before I could serve it.

No, I will not suffer any kind of embarrassment like that again. At least sushi is served raw, so I'm safe there. I have also done some practicing tonight with the basic California Roll. My avacado was a tad bit over ripe and I could have really used some orange fish roe, but other than that it was pretty good. At least the family enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment